I guess, if you are not ready for an intense citrus explosion, you might even like to reduce the quantity of limes from 5 to 4, accordingly.
5 limes ❂ 100g butter (ghee) ❂ 140g sugar ❂ 1 pack of vanilla sugar ❂ 3 eggs ❂ 200g thick sour cream ❂ 250g all-purpose flour ❂ 1-2 tsp baking powder ❂ ab. 80g pistacchios ❂ powedered sugar (vanilla scented one would be even better) ❂ a pinch of cardamom
2. Beat 100g butter (or ghee), 140g sugar and 1 pack of vanilla sugar into thick paste.
3. Add 3 eggs and 200g sour cream, then, 250g flour, a generous pinch of cardamom and 1-2 tsp baking powder. Mix all together very well.
4. Pour the dough onto a baking tray (use parchment paper too). Cut 4 fresh limes (rather small- or middle-sized ones) into round thin slices and lay 'em out on the dough.
5. Bake ab. 20min. Now is the time to make a syrup:
6. Making a syrup: Add one lime grated rind and juice into a water-sugar mix and cook for 3 min.
7. Soak a warm cake with the syrup and sprinkle with chopped pistacchios.
8. Once the cake is cool enough, sprinkle it with confectioners sugar.