Sunday, February 16, 2014

Beze!

... I did it! My first lot of beze or meringue cookies, one of my early childhood most delectable treats, has come out crispy white, not counting a few slightly bronze, and nicely shaped. Though, it took me some time to adjust to right temperature regimes and there was only a teaspoon at my service to help me shape peaks, but everything went much smoother than I had expected!
I checked a few magazines and on-line sites for the best beze recipe, but the multiple advices regarding proper temperature, drying time and even right amount of sugar often sounded kinda suspicious. So, I decided to stick to what seemed more reasonable to me.
So, here are the steps I followed: In a mixing bowl (it should be absolutely clean!) beat (on high speed) 3 egg whites gradually adding sugar (100-150g in total amount) until the mixture is thick.
Preheat the oven up to 90C. Lay baking tray with a parchment paper sheet and squeeze beze through the pastry tip. Let beze dry for an 1 1/2 hrs. Then, turn off the oven and leave the cookies inside, with an oven door half-shut, for about 2 hours.

That's it! As everything has worked out well with the basics, now I'll be testing more beze involving recipes. I have already spotted so many! Meanwhile, bon appetit! ツ
Shown in the photo:  
Hand-embroidered tablecloth, bought in Hungary some years ago. My grandmother's glass carafe and a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment