...another Punjabi wholesomeness for today -- Punjabi kadhi. Kadhi is a spicy thick gravy with addition of besan (chickpea flour) and a sour yoghurt. Pakoras, deep-fried vegetables, are often added as well. It is best enjoyed with chawal (rice), roti (bread) or naan (oven-baked flat bread) and paneer (cottage cheese). Give it a try, you will enjoy! The recipe is from Tarla Dalal's book 'Punjabi Khana'.
1. Whist the dahi and besan in a bowl till smooth. Keep aside.
2. For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan, add the jeera.
3. When they crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
4. Add the curds-besan mixture, turmeric powder, salt and 1 1/2 cups of water*. Simmer on a low flame till the kadhi thickens. Serve hot.
* i added less water than indicated in the recipe, a little less than 200 ml